If the snow melts quickly, your home may be at risk of flooding, even if you haven’t flooded before. Here are a few tips to prevent water damage or flooding.
- Remove snow from around your foundation. Pay particular attention to the areas around window wells.
- Most lots drain along the outside edges. Remove snow from these areas.
- Keep the snow in your yard. Shovelling onto streets or lanes could block drains.
- Help keep catch basins clear. Where possible, safely clear snow, ice and debris from the catch basins in your area.
- Clear snow and ice from around the bottom of your downspouts and extend the downspouts at least two metres so that water drains away from your foundation.
- Check your roof and eavestroughs for excess snow. Consider hiring a professional to clear snow from your roof. A roof rake may help to clear the snow and debris from the edge of your roof.
- Consider using sandbags to block water from entering low-lying areas beside your foundation.
- If water is getting close to your foundation, use an appropriate pump to drain it to the gutter or back lane. Please use all equipment properly and follow safety guidelines.