Mice seek the shelter of warmer locations once winter weather hits. Often, people are not aware of the population boom that is occurring with this invasive species in their attic or basement until the occasional mouse droppings and urine are discovered around food, furniture and storage areas. Here are some ways to keep mice out:
1. Install door sweeps on exterior doors and repair damaged screens.
2. Screen vents and openings to chimneys.
3. Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home, including areas where utilities and pipes enter the home, using caulk, steel wool or a combination of both.
4. Keep attics, basements and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
5. Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows.
6. Eliminate all moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains that provide the perfect breeding site for pests.