Many people choose to celebrate the holidays by decorating the interior and exterior of their homes with a variety of different lighting options. Here are a few tips to ensure any extra lighting you put up is done safely.
- Only purchase UL-listed lights and extension cords.
- If you are decorating outdoors use products that are rated for outdoor use.
- Before placing your lights (inside or outside) inspect them for any damage that may have occurred in storage.
- Unplug lights before you change bulbs.
- If you need to get on a ladder to hang lights, try to use a wooden or fiberglass-reinforced plastic one instead of a metal one.
- Do not connect too many strings of lights together. The general rule is 3, but check with the packaging.
- Do not overload extension cords or sockets.
- Check your lights every now and then and make sure the wires are not warm to the touch.
- Always turn off your lights before going to bed or leaving the house. This is a big one that many of us are guilty of. You spend all that time decorating and you want to show it off. We understand! But we also would hate for you to return home to a fire or wake up to one!